Current:Home > NewsNorth Carolina legislature likely heading home soon for a ‘little cooling off’ over budget -ValueCore
North Carolina legislature likely heading home soon for a ‘little cooling off’ over budget
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-05 02:01:32
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — With each legislative chamber uninterested in hearing the other’s spending proposal, North Carolina lawmakers look ready to go on hiatus after next week while a stalemate simmers between Republicans over how to adjust the current two-year state budget.
“Perhaps during this summertime with a lot of heat, maybe a little cooling off might be a good thing,” House Speaker Tim Moore told colleagues Thursday after the full House gave final approval to its $31.7 billion plan for state government spending starting with the new fiscal year July 1.
But the Senate has signaled no interest in considering the measure, which passed the House 68-36 after a similar initial affirmative vote Wednesday night.
Senate GOP leaders instead advanced earlier Thursday their own $31.4 billion plan through a budget committee. Their measure contains 240 fewer pages than the House bill, omits scores of House provisions and declines to raise teacher and state worker salaries beyond what the enacted two-year plan already directs for the next 12 months.
Senate leader Phil Berger has expressed frustration with House counterparts over their higher spending levels and liberal use of reserve funds. Berger said later Thursday that his chamber plans to hold perfunctory floor sessions after the end of the month, then wait to see if continuing conversations lead to the House agreeing on a plan more to the Senate’s liking.
“We’ll roll into the new fiscal year,” Berger told reporters. “If they at whatever point decide to get serious about the spending number, we are willing, able and ready to go.” But he acknowledged it’s possible no agreement is ever reached.
Moore said there are also no plans to hear the Senate budget bill, which is supposed to get a full Senate vote early next week. He accused senators of giving up on negotiations that he said had brought the two sides much closer.
“What I got was the Senate just kind of moving on out there and filing their own bill without any consultation or notice from the House, and we will not respond well to negotiation tactics like that,” Moore said.
Having a two-year budget already in place eases the pressure upon legislators to hammer out alterations quickly. But the impasse increases risks for Republicans that two key provisions important to families that the chambers largely agree upon could be left behind.
Both the House and Senate budget versions contain $487 million for programs that help K-12 students attend private schools and eliminate large program waiting lists now and for the future. Most of the money would go toward the state’s Opportunity Scholarships, which experienced a sharp increase in applications because family income limits for recipients were eliminated in last year’s budget.
And the two chambers also support giving roughly $135 million to replace most of the money coming from the federal government for child care center grants that will expire in July.
Legislative Democrats and Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper oppose expanding private-scholarships and say hundreds of millions of dollars more are needed to help child care centers stay open and grow.
“Republican legislators have proposed two terrible budgets that steal billions in taxpayer money from public schools and child care to pay for private school vouchers millionaires will use,” Cooper wrote Thursday on X. He can veto legislation but Republican legislators hold enough seats to override any veto if they remain united.
The General Assembly convened this year’s primary work session in late April, but there’s no set session end date. So two chambers have the flexibility to return later in the summer for more business before adjourning permanently.
veryGood! (32674)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Families of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie reach settlement in emotional distress suit
- Parts of a Martin Luther King Jr. memorial in Denver have been stolen
- Haley says embryos 'are babies,' siding with Alabama court ruling that could limit IVF
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Rep. Ro Khanna, a Biden ally, to meet with Arab American leaders in Michigan before state's primary
- Washington State is rising and just getting started: 'We got a chance to do something'
- Death of Nex Benedict did not result from trauma, police say; many questions remain
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Danny Masterson transferred out of maximum security prison. Why are we still talking about him?
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Kim Kardashian’s New SKIMS Swimwear Collection Is Poolside Perfection With Many Coverage Options
- Motocross Star Jayden “Jayo” Archer Dead at 27
- Apple TV riding Lionel Messi wave with 'significant' viewership ahead of 2024 MLS season
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Charges against alleged white supremacists are tossed by a California judge for the second time
- Motocross star Jayden 'Jayo' Archer, the first to land triple backflip, dies practicing trick
- 'Drive-Away Dolls' review: Talented cast steers a crime comedy with sex toys and absurdity
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Cartel video shows gunmen shooting, kicking and burning bodies of enemies, Mexican police confirm
Measles cases rose 79% globally last year, WHO says. Experts explain why.
Kim Jong Un apparently liked Vladimir Putin's Russian-made limousine so much that Putin gave him one
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Odysseus spacecraft attempts historic moon landing today: Here's how to watch
A Missouri woman was killed in 1989. Three men are now charged in the crime
Amazon Prime Video lawsuit seeks class action status over streamer's 'ad-free' rate change